Researching trucking software platforms can seem overwhelming with all the options currently available. That’s why we’ve done the groundwork for you. The following providers are specific to trucking companies and freight brokers and most have several years of experience serving the industry. This up-to-date list will help you compare features and determine which solutions are the best fit for your needs.
With over 15 years serving the trucking industry, ProTransport provides all-in-one software solutions that can be customized for fleets or freight brokerages of any size. The software integrates with various programs, including QuickBooks, GPS, fuel card providers, factoring companies, IFTA and more. ProTransport’s simple dashboard and color-coded interface make the software’s features accessible and easy to navigate.
- Their pitch: ProTransport combines your fleet’s operations into one easy-to-use system, helping you save time, measure performance and make strategic decisions.
- Features: Dispatch, accounting, safety and maintenance, analytics -- all in one system
- Customers: Truckload/LTL carriers and freight brokers
- Additional Info: Integrates with fuel cards, factoring, QuickBooks, ELDs, IFTA; users also get access to a full suite of services for trucking companies, including factoring, a fuel card program, free credit data on brokers and shippers and more
Samsara’s portfolio of complete Internet of Things (“IoT”) solutions combine hardware, software, and cloud to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations. They serve customers across diverse sizes and industries, from transportation and logistics to field services, food production, energy, construction, local governments, and manufacturing.
- Their pitch: Samsara offers a unified system for fleet management, driver safety, and compliance.
- Website: https://www.samsara.com/fleet/routing
- Features: Dispatch and routing
- Customers: Transport, logistics, busing, construction, more
- Additional Info: Over 10,000 customers
Onfleet is the trusted last mile delivery solution for thousands of companies across dozens of industries including food and beverage, retail, pharmacy, parcel and more.
- Their pitch: Onfleet is the easiest way to manage last mile deliveries, allowing users to easily route, dispatch and analyze deliveries, track and communicate with drivers in the field and delight customers with real-time updates.
- Features: End-to-end route planning, dispatch, communication and analytics
- Customers: Specifically last-mile, with a focus on retail and food
- Additional Info: Operating in over 90 countries
ITS Dispatch is the web-based software affiliate of the popular load board TruckStop.com. Like most other trucking software products, ITS Dispatch links with QuickBooks. Customers can add software modules like file storage, IFTA reporting and other features as their trucking business grows.
- Their pitch: Grow your business with ITS Dispatch, an award-winning all-in-one solution that saves time, ensures accuracy and increases profits.
- Features: Dispatch, invoicing, accounting, reporting, maintenance
- Customers: Small- to mid-sized carriers, freight brokers and owner-operators
- Additional Info: Over 5,000 companies using software
Tailwind has web-based software products aimed at trucking fleets, freight brokers, or brokerages that run their own trucks. Customers can choose among three software tiers—Standard, Pro and Enterprise—depending on the size and complexity of their business. Founded 16 years ago, Tailwind launched its first software-as-a-service application in 2015.
- Their pitch: Feel the WIND at your back. Control the chaos of compliance, dispatch and paperwork with an award-winning, web-based TMS.
- Features: Dispatch, accounting, compliance, quoting and orders, reporting
- Customers: Small-to mid-sized carriers, freight brokers and owner-operators
- Additional Info: Pay-as-you-go software
Trimble Transportation was acquired by Trimble in 2012 to extend their reach beyond a leading position in North America. Together, Trimble's complementary technologies and solutions deliver exceptional returns that improve customers' operational efficiencies.
- Their pitch: Trimble Transportation technology automates and optimizes business-critical processes and delivers control with greater visibility.
- Features: Dispatch, maintenance, management
- Customers: Carriers, fleets, owner-operators, 3PL and brokers, last mile
- Additional Info: High retention rate among customers
Ascend TMS was founded in 2002 with the idea of developing a TMS that could be used from a web browser to avoid complex installations, configurations and setups. They now provide users state of the art cloud-based TMS technology that guarantees to immediately lower costs and increase profits.
- Their pitch: Ascend TMS is a professional cloud TMS software for everyone. Works here, works there, works everywhere.
- Features: Dispatch, accounting, reporting
- Customers: Carrier, freight broker/3PL, shippers
- Additional Info: Only one price point
McLeod offers a variety of software products, including the company’s flagship products: LoadMaster dispatch software and PowerBroker for freight brokerages. McLeod also has software solutions that help customers manage paperwork, direct sales and marketing and measure fleet performance.
- Their pitch: Give drivers choices about available loads while ensuring their success. Gain drivers’ loyalty by giving them real input about the loads they actually want. Become a preferred place for the best drivers to work.
- Features: Larger system with multiple integrations, including dispatch
- Customers: Truckload/LTL carriers, fleets
- Additional Info: More than 950 active customers throughout North America
TruckingOffice was developed by a fleet owner to help keep his company’s invoicing and records organized. Today, the online software helps small trucking companies handle dispatching, accounting, IFTA reporting and maintenance schedules. There are two tiers of TruckingOffice software available—Basic and Pro—and carriers are billed by the size of their fleets.
- Their pitch: TruckingOffice is the secret tool that successful owner-operators and fleet builders use to increase revenue per mile, streamline invoicing and reduce roadside repairs!
- Features: Dispatch, accounting, fleet management and maintenance, reporting, analysis
- Customers: Truckload/LTL carriers, owner-operators and freight brokers
- Additional Info: Started as father-son family business solution
Axon has been a software provider for the trucking industry since 1982 and has over 16,000 users and 54M loads entered. Axon integrates with PC Miler truck routing, mileage and mapping software.
- Their pitch: Axon offers real-time, totally integrated trucking software that cuts your workload in half, increases cash flow and eliminates driver pay stress.
- Features: Dispatch, ticketing, fleet management and maintenance, reporting
- Customers: Haulers, brokers, intermodal, more
- Additional Info: Software provides real-time updates across system
You Deserve the Right Software Partner
We’ll be sure to keep informing you as options are added or changed, but it’s always a good idea to research further. Be sure to compare these options with your own, once you have an idea of which solutions might interest you.
Still have questions about trucking software? Reach out to RTS Financial today.